Lunch With God~




As a child, you could always find me with the elderly people when at all possible. I loved them. I loved to hear them talk about “How things used to be.” I loved Family reunions and Church picnics so I could be with the ones I knew were good storytellers, those who enjoyed talking about the, “Good Old Days." 

                     I would hang onto every word they spoke and usually believed everything they said.
To this day, it hurts my heart to think an elderly person is living a sad life. I wish I could gather them all up, bring them to my house, and give their life just a little bit of joy. Show them how to smile again…So many of them go from day to day with nothing to do and having very few people to talk with. How sad! They have so much to offer, so much to teach, and so much love to share. I can relate to the little boy in the following short story:
                                                      
                         ~Lunch with God~
A little boy wanted to meet God. He knew it was a long trip to where God lived, so he packed his suitcase with Twinkies and a six-pack of root beer, and he started his journey.
When he had gone about three blocks, he met an old man. The old fellow was sitting in the park just staring at some pigeons. The boy sat down next to him and opened his suitcase. He was about to take a drink from a root beer when he noticed that the old man looked hungry so he offered him a Twinkie. He gratefully accepted it and smiled at the boy. His smile was so pretty that the boy wanted to see it again, so he offered the old man a root beer. Once again, he smiled a beautiful smile. The boy was delighted! They sat there all afternoon eating and smiling, but they never said a word to each other.
It grew late and the boy realized it was time for him to go so he got up to leave. However, before he had gone more than a few steps he turned around, ran back to the old man, and gave him a hug. The old man gave the biggest smile ever. When the boy opened the door to his own house a short time later his mother was surprised by the look of joy on his face. She asked him, "What did you do today that made you so happy?" He replied, "I had lunch with God." But before his mother could respond, he added, "You know what? He’s got the most beautiful smile I've ever seen!"
Meanwhile, the old man was also radiant with joy when he returned to his home. His daughter was stunned by the look of peace on her father’s face and she asked, "Dad, what did you do today that’s made you so happy?" He replied, "I ate Twinkies in the park with God." Before his daughter could respond, the old man added, "You know, he's much younger than I expected."
Too often we under estimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. People come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. Embrace them all equally!
Author unknown~


I am one of those elderly people now and there is nothing I would enjoy any more than to have lunch in the park with a small child. To have a picnic under the tree and eat twinkies and sip on a cold pop. Swing high in the sky and take a slow ride on the merry-go-round.   Today, my priorities have changed. Don't get me wrong!  I still love talking with the elderly, but my true joy comes from talking with a child. They make me smile. Looking at the world through their eyes is a warm embrace for a lonely heart. They have a whole lot to offer us old folks if we will only give them the opportunity. That is the way I see it.




 Walk with God,
Mary Frances King


Comments

Popular Posts