A Legacy of Love Left Behind

Not so very long ago, a dear friend of mine went Home to be with the Lord. Since her passing, I have wanted to write something in her memory but I had to wait until my heart and mind could work together to say the things I wanted to say about her…So I guess the time is now.

She was an organizer. Everything had to be done a certain way and at a certain time. She finished what she set her sights on. Everyone knew that she was dependable and trustworthy so she was asked to help others often. We found out very soon that if Georgia said we are going to do it a certain way; we did it her certain way…However,I never knew her to break a promise and not show up. She loved her church and her church family. She loved me, and was my friend and my sister in Christ. 
I cannot begin to tell of the many times I said to her, 'Georgia, you are a perfectionist.' I can still see that beautiful smile she threw on me when she said, “I know, I always plan it that way and I don’t guess I’ll ever change.”
She was proud of her accomplishments, and it gave her great satisfaction to know she did a job well. It is a wise person who gives all that they have to spread honor to God, and their church. Georgia did just that. She was a bright and shining example of truth and goodness that we could all benefit by following her example.

Georgia and I spent a lot of time together on church projects and I have often thought of one of our final conversations together. As we laughed, worked, and talked while we prepared food for a Church event she said,

“You know, now don’t get me wrong, I am not wanting to leave this world, but when I do, I want to hear the Lord tell me I have been faithful. I am not afraid to die, and I am ready anytime He calls me. There is so much evil in this world that I know I don’t belong here.” I look at the beauty and wonders the Lord has given us to enjoy in this world and something deep inside tells me I’ve not seen anything yet. So, I don’t want to miss it. With all the disappointments, hurts, and frustrations of life I know God has something great... and one day we will finally understand just how wonderful the gift of life really is. There have been times a part of me just can’t wait to meet Him face-to-face. But, what I want to do now is work for Him and leave a legacy behind that my family will be proud of.
'I know what you mean, Georgia,' I said.  'But honey, we got a job to finish, so the Lord is not ready to take you now,' I said jokingly. Little did I know that there was only a short   time left for Georgia to finish her final tasks…Did she know? Was she trying to prepare everyone? I do not know." 

A day or two after Georgia’s passing I thought of that conversation and I thought of something else. I thought of a devotional writing I had read in a book written by 
Anita Corrine Donihue.  It took a while of searching, but I finally found the book, and the page.


                     I Want To Leave My Mark For You

    “I know not what each day holds, or what time I have left to serve. This I do know, dear Lord; I want to leave my mark for You.
     Help me make every day count. Remind me to lay aside my own wants, to be willingly inconvenienced and used for You. Let me not put anything before You, no matter how good it seems.
     I can only leave my mark for You by replacing idle time with purposeful movement. When I rest, I open my heart that You may fill me with Your strength and spirit.
     Teach me to let go of yesterday, live fully today, and look with excitement toward tomorrow. I am awed as I come to know You more. I feel your shower love upon me like a refreshing summer rain.
     Even though I am unworthy, I long to reach the end of life’s journey and see You face-to-face. In the meantime, Lord, may I use each day, each hour, each moment to leave my mark for You.”
~Anita Corrine Donihue~

Although Georgia has  been gone for only a few weeks, it seems like it has been forever. I miss her! I miss seeing her smiling face at church. I miss her “good morning everybody voice,” as she came to church on Sunday mornings. I miss her sweet compliments to me about something I may have printed in the Church News Bulletin. I miss my Friend. But I know one day, I don’t know when, but I will see her again. And I can just hear her say, “Hey, Jesus, here comes my old friend Mary Frances,” as I come running through Heaven’s gate.  And I know something more, Georgia will be there to show me around...of course, she will be doing it with the "Georgia-attitude," of I'm doing this my way... And as I always did, I will smile and say,"Good job, Georgia."

Have a great day in the Lord,
Mary Frances King



Just a few short weeks after the death of Georgia, her husband Frank was diagnosed with cancer...In a matter of days God called him Home.
We often question these things, but God knows what is best for His children. Although we are left with almost unbearable pain, God will never abandon us...Just as He told His disciples on His departure of this earth!

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid...Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you........John 14: 27-28

The quiet gentleness of Frank and his warm smile is how I will remember him...They are both so terribly missed. But it is good to know that they are rejoicing in Heaven in their brand new HOME!!!

Watch for me dear friends. I will be there, too. One day!!!



 
                                                       






Comments

Popular Posts