Fly Like a Butterfly

In my backyard, I have a large flowerbed filled with a variety of summer flowers. There is a color to match every shade in the rainbow, and it is a butterfly haven.  
     One day this past week, I sat on the patio and watched as butterflies circled in and out of the flowers. There were several different species of those beautiful creatures but two majestic monarchs caught my eye. I gave them my full attention. I watched as they weaved in and out of the flowers. I was not sure if they were dancing, flirting, fighting for territorial rights, or just having a jolly good time chasing each other around the yard. They dipped and dived in and out, swept up in the air and swirled back down again. It rather looked like they were enjoying a whimsical game of tag, or perhaps hide-and-go-seek as they slipped in and out of the blooms on the flowers in their quiet and gentle way. 
     As I watched them fly around, I thought how grand it must be to be able to fly. I wondered why God didn’t give the human species wings to fly. It would have been nice if He had…However, I guess I know the answer to that, we must earn our wings.
     
Not only is my yard filled with butterflies but there is a large population of birds. I feed them regularly just to keep in contact with “Freddie and Flossie,” a beautiful pair of doves. I listen to their coos and watch them as they fly freely and gracefully through the air and stop to “sit a spell” on the light wires several feet above ground. Flossie is moody and fusses a lot. She folds down her wings and dances around on the high wire giving me the impression she is about to flog poor little Freddie. However, he does what every good husband does; he kisses her and coos to her until she calms down. I guess he figures it is a lot easier to spoil her than to live with the wrath of an unhappy female.

     As I sit and watch the butterflies and birds soar with freedom around the sky, I am reminded that we will fly one day. There is coming a bright morning when all who loves Christ will fly away. We will be going on a one-way flight that does not require a set of wings and no ticket needed. The fare was paid by the blood of Christ in advance… We can leave our suitcases behind  because everything new will be waiting for us when we reach our destination. We will be free to dip and swirl like the butterfly…That's the way I see it.

Have a good day in the Lord,                              
Mary Frances King

Comments

Popular Posts