This Land is My Land






Kentucky is my land. It is neither southern, northern, eastern, nor western, it is the core of America.

Mr. Jesse Stuart once said, "If the United States could be called a body, Kentucky would be its heart." I totally agree with that.
I was not the one to pick where I was born, but my choice would still have been Kentucky.
And if I could have chosen wind to breathe, I would have chosen Kentucky wind with the scent of cedar, pinetree needles, Green tobacco leaves, pawpaw, persimmon, and sassafras fragrance that fills the Kentucky air.
If I could have chosen the spot in Kentucky I would still have chosen Parksville Knob to be the place where I was born. Where four generations of my people have lived, and died on that mile high Knob. It was here I grew from childhood; a place where I first saw Kentucky light creep over the hilltop and breathed the  Kentucky air into my lungs until my adulthood, and even until now. It was in these hills I first heard the call of the whip-o-will, the caw of the crow, and the sound of nature creeping through the hills and hollows as night falls.
I followed the little streams that flowed over rocks between the high hills as skillful as an Indian child- and in the summer just as brown skinned as one.
I ran wild over the rock-rimmed hills enjoying this land of creeks and forests and running through the fields and valleys scratching my legs on the sawbriers and wild roses.
I enjoyed the four seasons,but if I could I would have by-passed winter and just divided those days equally with spring, summer, and fall.
Yes, Kentucky was and is my land...My home!


Comments

Popular Posts