A Cup of Coffee


Inside my house all sung and warm,
I watched the chilling winter storm.
Freezing rain as slick as glass,
Coats trees, bush, and blades of grass.

Mounds and peaks pile `round my door,
And I am thankful forever more,
That I am safe, snug, and warm
Inside my home from the chilling storm.

                                     Mary Frances King~

Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together. We should do that as a Church family.

…Be ye holy; for I am holy" 1 Peter 1:16

 I am not a very happy camper in the morning until I’ve had at least two or three cups of coffee. One morning this past week, I started to think how we as Christian are just like a cup of coffee…We can be weak, bitter, cold, or strong.  Here is a cup of Mary’s philosophy…
1.        Weak.
As weak Christians, we don't have much faith. In our weakness, we don't read God's Word enough to be able to share what we stand on or have a good testimony to share with others. The way to remedy that weakness is to add some grounds. Grind into God's Word and Study so you can learn what you believe concerning doctrine and know how to share living the Christian life.
Enrich yourself with a vibrant prayer life and rely on God's strength and not your own.

2.       Bitter.
I've known my share of bitter Christians and I've been there at a few times in my own life but if bitterness isn't dealt with, it boils and eats away at your heart. Bitterness doesn't leave a pleasant aroma. You can't do much with a bitter cup of coffee. No matter how much cream or sugar you add to the cup, the bitter taste is still there. No matter how many good deeds we do, how many church programs we become involved with, if our bitterness is still there, we need to empty our heart of all bitterness to allow the Holy Spirit to take control of our lives.

3.       Cold.
How many times have you taken a sip of coffee and realize it has gotten cold. Sometimes we grow cold as a Christian. There are probably many reasons why we let this happen. We get away from Christ by slowdown in our bible reading, stop going to church, stop taking the time to talk with Him in prayer and soon we grow cold. What do you do to a cold cup of coffee? Most of us just zap it in the microwave for a minute, or two. We go to the source for heat. That's how we should do as Christians. Go to the Source. Get on our knees and talk to the Lord. Draw closer to Him and He will draw closer to you.

4.      Strong.
Lord, please help me be a strong cup of coffee. Spending time with the Lord through prayer, bible reading is what's going to make us into those strong cups of coffee. It will allow us to let the Holy Spirit stir us. I know I need to work on spending more time with Christ. We think of it as just a devotional time or bible reading time, but when we realize that we are spending time in the "presence of the Lord" it really puts things into perspective. He's a great and holy God and He'll blend us to perfection if we'll perk up and spend time with Him. Let Him stir us every day… 

Photography of Deb Campbell...Check out her site.

Comments

Popular Posts