A Place Called Home




If these Kentucky Hills had eyes, they would wake to find these ladies standing in admiration while breathing fresh air God has poured upon earth’s land. These hills, which have seen untold sunrises, weathered unknown storms, and stood silent, so that man’s weak praise should be given God’s attention.”
For as long as I can remember I’ve always been in love with these Kentucky knobs. They are still the love of my life, a place where my roots are planted deeply and my memories are as real as the trees that grow there.

I had a privilege to be taught by my father – an Irish saying “marry a girl from the hills and you marry the whole Hills population.”Such seems the case with my brother-in-law Gary King and his wife Pat. Pat was a flat-lander when she and Gary married....Now, she is a picture- perfect "Hills" lady...She belongs to the hills....

These Kentucky Hills are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books.

I read somewhere that there are three rules to mountaineering....It’s always further than it looks. It’s always taller than it looks. And it’s always harder than it looks.”
“Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see and feel the face of God.”

My father considered a walk among the hills as the equivalent of churchgoing.”
I see it as a place of peace; a place where God is always waiting to have sweet communion with you. A place called, "Home."




            My beloved Knob, the hills of Kentucky where I grew up....Photos borrowed from 
              Gary and Pat King... Still their home...


Comments

Popular Posts