If I Could Bring Back Time...



Have you ever wished that you could bring back just one day of your childhood? I have to admit it, I have. I don’t think a day has gone by recently I have not wished that. With the sudden loss of my baby brother, I have been reliving memories of my childhood. His recent death has opened my heart to the pain of losing them all  again.  I have thought if I were a millionaire, I would give up my entire bank account to bring back just one day with my family.  I would like to roam the woods, play in the creek, and have childhood fights with my two little brothers like in the days gone by. I would find it a joy to go to the blackberry field with my mother and cry over the chigger bites and briar scratches.   Oh for just one more time to sit at the kitchen table and share a meal with them and listen to my daddy tell the stories of his childhood and the capers he and his brothers’ pulled when they were small. To go through one more holiday and hear our laughter and feel the warmth and security we felt in our family. Oh, for the pleasure of just one day!
Then, at my very lowest point God whispered ever so softly to my heart…”Don’t look back with sorrow…Look ahead and remember those times as a time to smile. Do not dwell on the past as a time for crying but share the good times to bring laughter and to spread joy to others now in the present. Just as I told my “borrowed daughter” only recently, we cannot go back; we can only go forward. 
 
Actually, to bring them back would mean that I would have to go through the hurt and pain of losing them all over again. Worse still,  I would bring them back to the suffering they would have to endure again…All because of my selfish need. So, I will spend the remainder of my life on this earth remembering my precious parents and loving brother with all the love still in my heart it can hold… and always with a smile I will remember them.


To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die, a time to plant, and a time to pluck that which is planted...
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and time to laugh: a time to mourn, and a time to dance....Ecclesiastes 3:1-4

Comments

Popular Posts