To My Late Husband...



        




      A while after my husband’s death, I started going through some of the drawers of his desk. I learned things about him I never knew before. How he had a sentimental spot he had never shown to me. He kept brochures of places he had fished, and pictures of those he fished with. Newspaper clippings of accomplishments of the grandchildren, nieces, and nephews marking their school activities.  

  I also found pictures of his granddaughters, my grandchildren, his great-grandson Evan, and my great-granddaughter Nevaeh. However, I must make it clear He never considered my grandchildren as stepchildren…He loved those babies as if they were his blood. He was papa to them and they worshiped him. Both of my sons called him POP and held a high respect for him.

He also loved maps and little notebooks, many of which contained his scribbled handwriting of reminders he wrote to himself of thing he wanted to do and didn’t want to forget. He saved special cards he got from family, his friends, and me.

As I was going through his papers, I realized my husband as a great man  who loved all people, one who treated everyone with the  same respect whether rich or poor, young or old. However, if someone didn't treat him right, he let them know it. He certainly was not a “wimp.”

Who was the man I married? Curtis had friends everywhere. When we went to town there would be people call out to him wanting to reminisce of old times they had spent together. Often making us late for an appointment but he would never rush them off. We have stood in the hot sun or the cold wind for those to tell a special story of the times they had spent together. His life had been full and he enjoyed every moment of it.

Curtis was my partner, the one I loved with all my heart, my inspiration, and my best friend. I can honestly say we never closed our eyes at night until we declared our love for each other. He was a gentle man with a gentle touch and a gentle voice. However, we all listened when he spoke.
I am the most fortunate woman in the world to have loved a husband who loved me in return and took care of me for 28 years.  Not nearly enough time. However, I thank God every day for the years He gave me with my Curtis King. I can honesty say they were the best years of my life and  I miss him terribly…The Way I See It, life will never be the same.

Comments

Popular Posts