Golden Moments



       Golden moments for me are moments I spend with my young grandson. The happiest time of the day is when we are walking the dog together and he is running along beside me. I love the joy he spreads by the things that make him smile. The old hound dog sunning in a neighbor’s yard makes him laugh as it raises its head and slowly stands.
        “Look at them ears, Nana, they sure are big,” he says with a giggle.
He reaches down, picks a dandelion, and says, “Here Nan, I found you a pretty flower,” handing it to me with a smile. 
    “Oh, wow! Hey Nan, look at that airplane way up there.” 
I looked up to see the plane sailing across the blue sky. “I wonder where it’s going,” I asked. “Maybe to Ex-a-nan (Lexington),” he said. Almost before I could get finished with my sentence, he had gone off in another direction, trying to catch a bird that speeds away before he can get to it.
“Look at the squirrel, Nana” “Where?” I ask… “Up there in that tree, “he answers. Looking up to where he is pointing I see a gray squirrel scamper across the branches of a huge oak tree. I think to myself, nothing escapes the eyes of a child.

Little wild spring flowers spread all around in the field where we walked. He stopped to pick some and all the while talking about how pretty were the flowers. It gave me time to do some thinking on my own…

April is the most beautiful month of the year. It is a time when the growth and flowering from dandelions to the daffodils are spotted everywhere. April is filled with birdsong, bee hums, and flowing brooks. Trees bloom and tiny leaves the size of a squirrel’s ear is popping out everywhere. A time for a little boy to explore all the beauty of nature and share his finds with his Nana -The Way I See It, for Nana, it’s a golden moment!


                           A Golden Moment
      
We walk along the well-worn path, my little boy and I.
We stop to watch a squirrel play and an airplane in the sky.                          
We left the sidewalk and crossed the road to get to the other side.
We saw a groundhog run to find a place where he could hide.

We watched the birds fly overhead and heard their mating call,
We gathered flowers in the field; he wanted to pick them all.
I said, “Let’s leave some for tomorrow and sit a while and rest,”
Another golden moment has passed and this one was the best…

Mary Frances King
Written for my Grandson

-------------------------------------
             Food for Thought:
 I’m a mixture of cook and teacher, “but which do you teach?” ask they.
“I teach small children,” I tell them, “To measure their work and their play.”
“Will you share your recipe with us?” - “I’m no formula person,” I say.
“Each takes a special blending and ingredients change some each day:

  One child needs sorting and sifting; another a gentle pat;
  But all need a dash of affection. They simply won’t rise without that!
 So with courage and sometimes misgivings, I roll up my sleeves and begin.
 That special gourmet assignment of molding gingerbread boys into men.”

 -June Masters Bacher

Comments

Popular Posts