Do You Hear the Music?


It started out like every other day in the King household. On Monday April 16, 2012 I crawled out of bed around 7:00 AM and went to my husband. “Good morning honey,” he said when I entered his room.
 “Good morning yourself big guy,” I answered back. “You ready to get up lazybones,” I teased.
“Sure am, I am a little bit hungry this morning,” he informed me.
“Well that is a good sign, I believe you are getting much better,” I said.

We started into our daily morning routine of me helping him to bathe and dress. We joked and laughed as we went. It was a good morning. He told me it was the first morning he was pain free in many days. We were both feeling very confident that thing was going to be better from that point on.
“Do you have the radio or television on?” he asked.
No, I don’t think so, why do you ask,” I said to him.
“Do you hear that music?” he wanted to know.
“No, honey,” I don’t hear any music. What kind of music do you hear?” I asked.
“You mean you cannot hear that music. It is the most beautiful music I have ever heard in my life,” He told me.
At the time, I never thought much about it. I was in a hurry to get breakfast over with and start my daily chores so I didn't linger for very long.
I went through the day of a busy schedule and never thought anything more about the music he was hearing until that night. While I was helping him prepare for bed he said, “You know, all day I have been hearing the most beautiful music and I can’t figure out where it is coming from.”
“Tell me about it,” I said.
“Well, it sounds like a whole bunch of stringed guitars and horns. It is soft and I feel peaceful and somebody is humming, I think."
 “Maybe you are hearing music coming from the neighbors,” I told him. However, I was beginning to wonder about it now because if that were true then why was I not hearing the same music…why suddenly could he even hear at all! He was extremely hard of hearing.
More than once he heard the music and each time, he spoke of how beautiful it sounded. At one point he sang a little of the song..."When the Roll is called up yonder I'll be there."  Just that one short sentence of the song.
 
Tuesday morning was not a good morning for my husband. We did not go through the whole routine of bathing and dressing, he ate very little breakfast and went back to bed. He was sick and in pain for most of the day. Late into the day, he looked at me with eyes full of pain and spoke to me, “Honey, I don’t think I am going to be here much longer. I feel that God is calling me Home. One thing I want to tell you, I will be waiting for you when God says your time is over.”   I sat with him until finally, he slept.

Wednesday was even worse for him; the Home health nurse was with him the better part of the day. My only regret is that I wish I had not left him even for a moment that day. His daughter came to stay with him so I could go do some important business that had to be finished and I was gone most of the afternoon. Weeks before, he had planned to go with me but he became too ill to go so he told me to go alone…. As I have written before, if only I had known.

Some people have asked me what I think the music was all about. I have only one answer… I believe with all my heart it was the Heavenly Angels singing my husband home. I believe it was to calm fears he may have felt. I believe they were preparing the celebration for his arrival into that Heavenly city. I believe they sang him into the arms of Jesus as he received his brand-new glorified body. He entered Heaven with a  new set of legs to run with, working ears to hear so he would no longer have to pretend he was hearing...I believe he entered Heaven with no sickness, no pain, and a shout of joy escaped from his lips as he ran through the gates toward his new home.... I BELIEVE. I truly believe this. 

 And God shall wipe away all the tears from their eyes; and there will be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away....
And He that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful...Revelation 21:4-5.

 Walk in faith,
Mary Frances King



Comments

Popular Posts