What is Easter All About?

In a few short days, we will be celebrating Easter. I don't know how you may feel about this day, but to me it is a Holy time. I would like for you to read an Easter sermon from the past by my Pastor, Ernest Fields, Jr.
He is pastor at Pleasant Run Baptist Church, my home church and not far from the place where I grew up. It is the church my family has attended off and on for many years.



    `From the pulpit of 
    Pastor Earnest Fields, Jr.`

You ask, “What does Easter have to do with me?”  Well, that is a good question. All too often we think that new clothing, Easter baskets, chocolate bunnies, finding Easter eggs, and hopefully, a good dinner, is all there is to Easter.
The Lord convicted me as a Pastor to have no rabbits and no Santa in the House of God.  You say, “Preacher, the so-and-so church down the road has an Easter egg hunt for their children every Easter.”  Well, bless them!  I don’t want a child to ask the question, “Preacher, I thought Easter was about Jesus.”  I don’t believe the church should promote bunny rabbits and Santa Claus.  We are all about Jesus.  Salvation came at a very steep price.  The Son of God died for my sins on the cross because He knew I was not capable of hanging there myself.
Romans 5:7: For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet, peradventure for a good man some would dare die. 
Would you die for the “old drunk" down the street?   Would you die for a stranger, or even for your neighbor?  Sure, we would die for our spouse, our children; but would you lay your life down for a wicked sinner?  I will have to be honest and say, “I don’t know.”  However, Jesus did not hesitate.  He said, “I’ll go for them, Father; they cannot do it for themselves. Some will choose to pay their sin debt on their own and will lose their soul."
The Easter message is wrapped up in Romans 5:8:  But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 
Easter, is about the love of God and the empty tomb.  There was only one that could die on the cross for us.  He suffered the pain for the alcoholic, the drug addict, the liar, and the thief.  He did it willingly. He proved His love in a way that we can never repay Him. 
Isaiah 53:5: But He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
That was done for you and me, friend!  By the grace of God, He tasted death for you and me.
Romans 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.  What does the word justified mean?  The dictionary says, "to pardon from guilt, to set free.Friend, can you understand what Jesus did for you and me? The cross is what He did. He chose to agonize for our sins, yours and mine.
Romans 5:10 is the curve ball:  For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
The Easter story is a two-part story.  Jesus died on the cross. If that were all the story, we would not have things much different, but the second part of the story is that Jesus’ death on the cross restored fellowship for man back to God.  We serve a risen Savior.  We are saved by Jesus’ death, but we are kept safe because of His life.  When we sin, He is the one to go to the Father and plead our case. 
Father, Jr Fields is down there on earth and he just did something bad will you Forgive him; I love him and I died for his sins...Only Jesus has God’s ear.  It’s His going to the Father in my behalf that keeps me safe. It’s through the blood of Jesus I will receive life everlasting.  Romans 5:11:  And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received atonement.  I am one lucky bird!  I had somebody pay a price I could not pay, and He is running intercession to the Father for me, even now!  When we think about what Jesus did for us, how can we NOT feel joy about it?
So, what’s the big deal about Easter? Why should I get all worked up and in lather?”  I can tell you why I get worked up.  “Jesus is alive and well.  I have been set free from sin and cleansed by His blood.  I have joy in my heart and peace with God.  I am a future citizen of Heaven.

Pastor JR Fields......





You may ask, “Can God make saints out of sinner people?”  Look around you~ walking among you may be an alcoholic who has been redeemed through His blood.  That’s why they call it “Grace.”  Not one person has been so wicked that God cannot reach down His hand to you.  If that were not possible, then there would be no hope for any of us. That is the way I see it....

Mary Frances King

Comments

Popular Posts