Serenity

What does it mean, SERENITY?  Words used to define it are tranquility, calmness, peacefulness, stillness, and quietude. 


I love the word serenity. It reminds me of sitting on the bank of a small stream watching the shimmering water as it glides across the colored pebbles that are scattered around in the creek bed. It is listening to the birds sing and feeling the warm sunshine as it touches my face. 


Water and sunshine. Those two words have much in common. They both refresh us; give us life, and wash us clean of the worldly grit and grime that messes up our lives. They restore calmness to our stress-filled life.
It is by the peaceful waters we can come into the presence of God and draw away from the noise that fills our life. It is where we can hear the tranquility of His voice as He speaks to our hearts...


I am not the only one who connects peace with water...David wrote of the "Great Shepherd." who leads us beside the still waters.   
     "The Lord, is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He leads me beside the still waters." Psalm 23:1-2.
It is pleasant to be able to rest beside the still waters. We can take His Holy Spirit back into the noise of the day feeling rested and calm after spending a few moments with Him. We can be restored.  


To find a stream of cool water is not necessarily sitting beside a creek, or stream. It is coming before God in our quiet place and feeling His spirit within our heart; being energized and full of joy with His spirit flowing around us. An unquenchable gladness cannot be suppressed, cannot be held down, and cannot  be quenched by the negative attitudes of others. 
I want God's spirit to always flow through me as an unquenchable joy...Sometimes I listen within my heart for calming words from God...I can imagine Him sending me a letter of encouragement:


 My Dear Child;
     I have created you from my love and in my own image. I ask nothing more from you than for you to give me your faith and show your unconditional love for me. Be what I have created you to be ---a pure, loving and spiritual being, the essence of what I am within you. Know that spiritual healing is yours to claim and that I have breathed the very breath within you. I give you life! Never for one instant think that I will ever leave you. Listen to my whisper, read my word, and know that I am with you and will keep you wherever you may go.


With all my love,
Your Heavenly Father


And behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all the places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done thee which I have spoken to thee of...Genesis 28:15.


With the treasure of God's love in my heart I move forward in fulfilling my hopes and dreams, never to forget the promise of God's treasures awaiting me! That is the way I see it....


Walk with God;
Mary Frances King




Comments

Popular Posts