"One Friday Morning"

   I know you are wondering why I am writing of the death of Christ, when I should be celebrating His birth.  But I cannot think of one without thinking of the other...That little Baby born in a manger with no bed to sleep in grew to be the loving, gentle man who died for the sins of a cold, dark world. Why did He do it?

This is in part  a sermon preached by my pastor, Earnest Fields, Jr. during the Easter season this past April. He asked many of the questions I have often ask myself....

     
Bitter words filled with sarcasm. Hateful words. It wasn’t enough that he was being crucified. Wasn’t enough that he was being shamed and treated as a common criminal? Were the nails insufficient? Was the crown of thorns too soft? Had the flogging been too short? When was enough, enough? Why did he have to endure such a beating?
Of all the scenes around the cross, the mockers anger me the most. I ask myself, what kind of people would mock a dying man? Who would be so cruel that they would pour the salt of scorn upon open wounds? How low and perverted to sneer at one whom is suffering with so much pain…
When they hurled their insults at Him, he did not retaliate; He made no threats. Instead, He entrusted himself to His Heavenly Father as the onlookers called, “Come down from the cross if you are the Son of God!”
From the religious leaders, “He saved others but he can’t save himself.”
From the soldiers, “If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself.”
Bless the holy Man! He did not bite back. He didn’t say, “I’ll get even with you guys! Come on up here and say that to my face, you cowards!” Or, “Just you wait until after the resurrection, buddy!” No, Christ never spoke any of those words. He took it all without a word. He entrusted himself to the One who judges justly. Or more simply put, he left the judging to God. He did not seek revenge. He demanded no apology. He hired no bounty hunters or call for the local sheriff to come help Him. Instead, He called out to His Father to overlook them… “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34)
 A stir-crazy mob, mad at something they couldn’t see so they took it out on, of all people, Jesus! And at the time they didn’t care what they were doing…
Yes, the voices of the mob that Friday morning was bitter. The verbal stones were meant to sting. They were meant to be abusive. They were used for the entertainment of an angry crowd...


How Jesus with a body wracked with pain, eyes blinded by his own blood, and lungs yearning for air, could speak on behalf of those heartless thugs is beyond my comprehension. Never, never has there been such Amazing Grace…"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

Pastor Earnest Fields, Jr.
April 3, 2011


While the birth of Jesus gives us joy and brought peace upon the earth, His death brought hope to the world... Yet, I cannot hear of His death on the cross without shedding tears. To think of Him dying such a horrendous death is more than I can comprehend. If He died for us the very least we can do is to live our life for Him... 


I hope your Christmas season is filled with peace and love; if you do not know this Jesus on a personal basis, I would ask that you give yourself the greatest gift of all by receiving the Lord Jesus in your heart. What a precious gift of wealth you would give yourself. That is the way I see it....


Walk with Christ,
Mary Frances King

Comments

Popular Posts